The Hangman’s Bridge (Henkersteg) is a special
bridge in the historic German city of Nuremberg (Nuernberg) and was constructed in 1457 as a wooden bridge. Between the 16th and the 19th century, every city used to have their hang man, and the one from Nuremberg lived in the tower and the roofed walk above the German river Pegnitz. After the flood of 1595, three arches of the town wall bridging the southern arm of the river Pegnitz were demolished and replaced by the wooden Hangman’s Bridge with its tiled roof (reconstructed in 1954).
The executioner had to live in segregated accommodation within the city, since his trade was considered “dishonest”. Up until the Age of Enlightenment, citizens avoided any physical contact with the hangman, in order not to be excluded from the Christian community. Find more information about Nuremberg at www.nuernberg.de